4 Simple Steps to Maintaining Turnstiles and Pedestrian Barriers
Is there a need to maintain turnstiles and other pedestrian access equipment?
As they are built to withstand prolonged and multiple use, turnstiles and pedestrian barriers such as flap gates, drop arm barriers and supermarket gates require very little maintenance once installed. However, like any equipment, it is a good idea to check them over once in a while. These machines are your investments after all, and to make the most of your investments you need to take care of them and make sure that they continue to function properly and last a long time.
There are only a few simple steps you need to follow in order to maintain the quality and performance of your pedestrian access control solutions:
1. Clean them regularly. In retail areas pedestrian access control equipment is made to look visually pleasing. To keep them looking as good as when you brought them it is important to clean them regularly. Surfaces should be cleaned with a soft cloth and, where applicable, a good stainless steel cleaning product. Avoid using harsh cleaners as these may only damage or leave marks on any mirror finish.
2. Check for dents, scratches and marks. Abuse of any pedestrian access equipment is the most common reason that the device may need repair or replacement. Closely monitor your equipment and check for parts that are damaged. For full height turnstiles, check for slight bending or leaning of arms; this may signify loose rotor brackets that must be attended to before they get worse. Flaps on flap barriers and arms on supermarket gates should also be checked to ensure they have not been manually forced in any way. This might cause misalignment preventing them from opening or closing correctly.
3. Preventative maintenance. Full height and waist height turnstiles are fully sealed with an IP65 protection. However the drop arm and flap barriers do need to be cleaned when necessary of general grime and insect infestations to keep them in optimal working order.
4. Lubricate once a year. Use a synthetic grease to lubricate the moving parts of your machine at least once a year.
With these simple steps, you can greatly improve the longevity and durability of your turnstiles and other pedestrian barriers.
For high quality turnstiles, flap barriers, supermarket gates and gate openers, contact Rotech. We supply a superior range of pedestrian access control solutions, as well as vehicle access control solutions for a variety of applications. Get in touch with us today.
5 Reasons Why To Use Automated Gates
Business sites, just like the businesses themselves, are highly valuable investments and they need to be well protected from potential threats. For this reason, pedestrian access solutions are popularly used in commercial and industrial settings. Nowadays automatic boom gates, turnstiles and many other access solutions are widely used in shopping centres, hospitals, banks, car parks, transit stations, and other types of commercial establishments.
There are a number of reasons why these types of access control systems must be installed in buildings or any major business site. Owners of commercial and industrial establishments should deliberate on this matter to protect their investment. Here are some reasons why automated access solutions would be necessary.
- Safety and Security – These are two primary concerns in commercial and industrial buildings. In most cases, these establishments have several areas that need to be secured. One security measure that can be taken is to install turnstiles at the entrance and other significant places. These gates can only be opened by those who are allowed entry, using access cards, wristbands or tags. This reduces the risk of unauthorised entry to the premises.
- Controlled Access – Other than security from trespassers, automated gates also help to control the accessibility of specific areas within the business site. With automatic gates installed outside a certain area, access can be limited to particular members of the staff. This ensures that employees only enter the areas they are required to work in.
- Convenience – With modern technology used in these access solutions, getting in and out of the building is made easier and more convenient. Some types of gates can let through an average of 25 people per minute. There are also some designs that allow easy access for wheelchairs.
- Reduced Staffing –Since these gates are automated, they eliminate the need for an employee to be constantly present at the gate to control its operation. Authorised individuals can simply use their access cards to enter. This can help reduce the number of employees and save money.
- Cost-Effective Option – Gate openers are typically operated by a power source like electricity. But owing to the advents of new technology, now there are more cost-effective solutions available to reduce power consumption, thereby reducing the company’s expenses. Modern design changes include solar panels that absorb and store energy from sunlight. These solar panels can operate a solar gate opener without using much electrical power. Solar-powered units can operate for a day or two in the event that the main power fails.
When it comes to automated access solutions, Rotech is a name that one can rely on. We have been providing automatic gates and access solutions to many commercial and industrial companies. Our solutions can be customised to meet your needs and operational requirements. Contact us now and our friendly staff can walk you through our range of products.