Trends in Controlling Pedestrian Movement
Whether a stadium, entertainment venue or large commercial business, if your premises plays host to large numbers of people, then the control of pedestrian movement is essential.
Safety is the number one concern. Regulating the movements of customers, clients, visitors, and external contractors is an important risk mitigation strategy for any business. Second to that is security, including protection against theft of goods.
The options for controlling pedestrian movement have evolved with the need for increased safety and security, and faster more efficient operation. Manual gates are still valuable in the right circumstances, but automated options – including turnstiles, pedestrian barriers, flap barriers, and rapid access gates – have raised the bar.
Let’s look at some of the latest products available to manage pedestrian movement.
These can range from full height security turnstiles, for situations where access to sensitive areas needs close monitoring, to waist height turnstiles – an excellent access limitation measure to enable basic clearance checks.
These are great for areas with a lot of foot traffic, such as sporting venues and office buildings. Some models even include memory storage, which remembers the amount of swipe cards presented, and keeps the turnstile unlocked until the last person to swipe their card has passed.
Flap pedestrian barriers offer a modern sophisticated look and are an ideal security measure for entry points into businesses requiring an additional level of screening.
They are fast and suited to high-volume foot traffic areas. They also prevent pedestrian ‘tailgating’ and entry from the incorrect direction; an added security feature not provided by swing gates and waist-high turnstiles.
Drop Arm rapid access gates
Drop arm access gates have two major advantages over turnstiles and flap barriers.
Sleek cabinet designs fit into areas where normal turnstiles would not and the wider passage way allows access for wheelchairs and contractors with bulky work equipment.
Automatic and manual pedestrian gates
These security solutions are perfect to prevent shoplifting from supermarkets, pharmacies, liquor stores and other retailers.
Radars or beams detect movement and open the gate as customers enter the shop. When combined with barrier rails they guide the customer past the check out and prevent customers exiting through the entrance without paying.
Manual gates are also great low cost choice for closing checkouts and restricting access to areas with lower foot traffic.
There are many great options available to control pedestrian movement and add a layer of security to your commercial or industrial premises. Contact us for a discussion of your business’s requirements.
Why Solar-Powered Gates Come up Trumps
While the new US President has opened his tenure with a bang, the last thing you want is this happening to your entrance gates. A smooth transition would be nice, wouldn’t it?
And if you’ve never considered a solar gate opener to make that smooth transition possible, you should. There’s a range of benefits associated with solar-powered gates that go beyond the obvious electricity savings – although that’s certainly one of them.
Let’s take a look.
Gone are the days where green-themed products had diminished capabilities compared with their hard-wired counterparts. Modern boom gates, swing gates and sliding solar gate openers are heavy duty and able to cope with a variety of commercial and industrial applications, as well as residential requirements. They also come with the full range of features, including:
- Battery backup
- Programmable operating modes
- Timers to give access during working hours, but not on weekends, for example
- Transmitter remote controls
- Adjustable opening and closing speeds – faster open, slower close, for example
- Safety sensors
- Rugged, weather-resistant sealed control panels.
Free power, renewable from the sun
Using free renewable energy from the sun to power gates can save a lot on electricity bills – particularly in high traffic areas where gates are operating all the time, or when gates are large or heavy.
There’s no better feeling than using Australia’s burning sun to reduce the heat on your bank account!
An eco-friendly option
We all understand the importance of reducing our carbon footprint for future sustainability. Using a solar-powered gate opener is a great investment when you consider the potential financial savings on electricity.
But many businesses and individuals are also switching to solar for ethical reasons – the sun is a renewable resource compared to coal-generated power.
Perfect for remote locations
In rural and remote locations, mains power isn’t always available. Solar-powered openers come into their own here. With a variety of styles and functions, solar gate openers for swing and sliding gates, boom gates, and even turnstiles are brilliant off-grid, eco-friendly, reliable solutions.
The electricity savings alone mean solar power is worth considering. But as you can see, there’s many other benefits too. If you’d like to discuss installing solar gate openers in domestic, commercial or industrial settings, give us a call to find out more about the options.
How automated gate openers boost security and profit
It doesn’t matter whether you operate an industrial, commercial or retail business – you are not immune to theft.
It is increasingly important to understand how to better protect your property, minimise your business’s vulnerability to opportunistic thieves and increase your profitability.
Factors such as:
- reduced investment in loss prevention methods by businesses
- a perception pilfering is a low risk/non-offensive crime
- the ease of sale of stolen goods online
means businesses face ever increasing challenges and losses due to theft.
Losses due to theft are an avoidable chunk of revenue that could be lifting your bottom-line
Research undertaken by the Australian Institute of Criminology highlighted access control as an important tool businesses should include in their crime prevention strategy…
“Access control aims to increase the effort associated with committing an offence, usually though the
alteration of the physical environment or surroundings to make crimes more difficult.”
Using automated internal and external gates and barriers to control access is a proven and highly effective method of preventing unauthorised access and managing security.
Using automated gates to improve security and profitability
There is increasing local and international concern about crimes against small business. Australia has over 1.9 million small businesses and proportionally there are more crimes committed against businesses than households – the most common being burglary followed by theft.
Australian Federal Police statistics show workplace theft costs Australian businesses about $1.5 billion a year and the problem is growing.
If your industrial yard, warehouse or commercial business is prone to theft using an automated gate can be an effective and efficient solution.
Teamed with remote control, key card or keypad options – using an automatic gate opener to control heavy-duty swing gates and sliding gates can significantly prevent access for unauthorised vehicles and would-be burglars.
Depending on the nature of your business, automatic boom gates may provide a better alternative to swing or sliding gates as they allow for fast vehicle access while allowing security guards to manage stock control at exit points.
Alternatively, full height turnstiles are becoming a popular option for businesses that require a high level of pedestrian security for visitors and recording time and attendance of employees. Combined with an anti-climb mesh and a card reader, a full height turnstile is highly effective method of restricting access.
Human error can foster opportunistic crime – how many times have you or a staff member forgotten to close the gate after entering or exiting? By installing an automated gate opener you won’t need to worry about entry points accidentally being left wide open for thieves. An adjustable automatic close timer minimises the time available to pass through the gate making it difficult for unauthorised access.
No power – no problem
In the event of a power failure, automatic gate openers can be operated via a battery pack, which can increase the security in times of vulnerability, providing peace of mind that property is protected whatever the circumstances.
If you are thinking about upgrading your business security, Rotech can help, providing a full range of automated gate openers, boom gates, turnstiles and supermarket gates. Talk to the experts about solutions for protecting your bottom line.
Explaining Pros & Cons of Solar-Powered Gate Openers to Clients
Solar-powered gate openers are rising in popularity because of innovations in solar technology which have significantly improved their reliability. The cost of solar panels has also come down considerably over the past few years. That is why many consumers are seriously considering them. However, not everyone might think that they are an ideal solution.
When it comes to explaining solar-powered gate openers to your clients, it’s always good to emphasise the following attributes to help them consider having one installed at their property.
What’s in it for your clients?
- Savings – Clients can now enjoy lower energy bills. Since this type of opener uses energy coming from the sun, it’s virtually free. Aside from the initial product cost and installation fees, they won’t be spending more for the operation. Even in very poor light conditions, testing has shown that the gate will still operate for up to 10 operations per day
- Installation – Solar power allows you to install a gate opener or boom gate in a remote location or one that has limited access to a power source. Of course, this also means that the labour that goes into the installation of the unit is reduced, as there is no need to dig up roadways in order to run high voltage cables to the gate.
- Safety – with solar power, access to a property is never an issue as the gate will not fail during power outages. This means that your client will never have to leave their car unattended while they open the gate and will never be left feeling vulnerable, especially late at night or in areas of high crime.
What do you need to tell your clients?
Each installation of a solar-powered gate operator has to be assessed to ensure that they work correctly for the environment they are in and the type of job they are required to do. As a gate manufacturer, it’s best to know these. Read the following list to be guided:
- The size of the solar panel will depend on the number of operations per day and the amount of accessories (PE beams, intercom) that may be fitted.
- Solar panels need to be mounted in a position where they will get the most sunlight, away from over shadowing trees or buildings.
- The brackets holding the panel should be of high quality stainless steel for durability, especially since they are exposed to the elements.
Equipped with this information, you can now explain to your clients in detail what benefits they can get and what limitations they can expect from the application.
As soon as they’re ready to make use of this technology, we’ll be ready at Rotech to help you. As one of Australia’s leading providers of gate operators, boom gates and turnstiles, it is our priority to supply gate manufacturers and security companies with first-class products. Rotech can also customise products to suit a client’s needs. With our 30-years of experience in the industry, our technical support team will gladly assist you with product information and integration.
Safety and Maintenance Tips | Gate Openers
We have been writing about the benefits of installing gate openers and the security they can provide for your homes and commercial establishments. But what should you do after you have them installed? In this post, we’ll review safety precautions as well as maintenance guidelines after installation.
Reducing Risks of Injuries
Too many times, people don’t take heed of precautions when they buy or have something new installed. Just as automatic gate openers keep you safe from trespassers, you should also protect yourself, your family and employees by following these safety tips:
- LISTEN to the technicians when they teach you about safety precautions to lower the risks of injuries. They will also teach you about ‘entrapment zones’, places everyone should avoid at all times.
- Children shouldn’t be allowed to play with controls. Make sure to keep the remote control, push buttons or switches away from their reach.
- Moving gate openers may look ‘fun’ to tiny tots and the first thing they can think of is to ride the barrier. Talk to them about the importance of staying away from the vicinity. Better yet, an adult should be present all the time, especially when there are toddlers around.
- Are your motorised gates not functioning properly? Avoid the DIY route even if you’re quite handy. It’s better to call professionals and have them check on the issue.
- Never attempt to reach through the barriers.
- If you’re fond of beating the red light, you shouldn’t be doing the same thing to your gate and beat it while it’s moving to close or open. It’s dangerous to do that as you can easily get caught.
Maintenance to Ensure Product Longevity
Rotech’s high-end automatic gate openers don’t actually need to be checked often. But like anything that’s used often and usually exposed to harsh elements, you need to schedule regular upkeep. Take note of the following guidelines:
- Before doing any type of maintenance, turn the power off.
- If you had a solar gate opener installed, clean the solar panels at least once a year. However, if the environment is unusually dusty, it’s important to clean them more often. Dust and grime covering the panels will affect its efficiency.
- Hinges are expected to bear the heavy work. It’s important to lubricate them at least once a year.
- Avoid using penetrating oil sprays like WD-40 for hinges and wheels. Heavy grease is more suited for this application.
At Rotech, our technical support team is always ready to help you out. We’re widely known for the reliability of our products and expertise. If you have anything on your mind about maintenance or simply would like to know more about our products such as boom gates, contact us or let us know in the comments section below.
Fast-Quality-Safe-Swing Gates |Best Choice for Amusement Park
The winner of the Certificate of Excellence Award in 2013, Puzzling World is a unique attraction that has been entertaining visitors of all ages for over 40 years with their intriguing and unconventional puzzle centre, illusion rooms, 3D maze and the likes. Holding the title of the most photographed attraction in New Zealand, it witnesses 180 000 visitors per year. To control the movement of visitors and ensure security, they required an access control solution that was safe and easy to use.
They chose the Sentinel F90 Swing Gate from Rotech as it has cushion soft safety and an anti-bump feature. So if there is any resistance while it is in operation, the gate stops for a pre-set time period. Since a majority of the visitors are little children, this was a very important feature for Puzzling World; as this swing gate is easily stopped even by little children, disabled, and elderly people, eliminating any chances of gate accidents.
Also considering how busy the amusement park gets, especially during the vacations, they needed something to allow rapid access. So the fast opening speed of 1.5 seconds of the F90 was definitely an advantage. The PLC controls enable easy connection to any access control system, ensuring optimum security.
Two F90 swing gates were placed at the entrance of the 7 acre amusement park and were integrated with a barcode reader. The entrance tickets purchased by the visitors included a specific barcode. The visitors were required to swipe their tickets at the barcode reader and once approved, it unlocked the swing gates, providing access into the park.
One swing gate was also placed at the exit of the amusement park. This did not require any ticket scanning; it is operated by an infrared beam across the walkway, which is broken once people walk past and that opens the gate, offering free exit.
During an emergency or power failure, these gates will freewheel allowing rapid exit for everyone inside. Made of stainless steel, the F90 swing gate is extremely strong and durable. It is the perfect solution for pedestrian and wheelchair access, providing high standards of safety as well as security, and it also does not incur high maintenance costs.
5 Reasons Why To Use Automated Gates
Business sites, just like the businesses themselves, are highly valuable investments and they need to be well protected from potential threats. For this reason, pedestrian access solutions are popularly used in commercial and industrial settings. Nowadays automatic boom gates, turnstiles and many other access solutions are widely used in shopping centres, hospitals, banks, car parks, transit stations, and other types of commercial establishments.
There are a number of reasons why these types of access control systems must be installed in buildings or any major business site. Owners of commercial and industrial establishments should deliberate on this matter to protect their investment. Here are some reasons why automated access solutions would be necessary.
- Safety and Security – These are two primary concerns in commercial and industrial buildings. In most cases, these establishments have several areas that need to be secured. One security measure that can be taken is to install turnstiles at the entrance and other significant places. These gates can only be opened by those who are allowed entry, using access cards, wristbands or tags. This reduces the risk of unauthorised entry to the premises.
- Controlled Access – Other than security from trespassers, automated gates also help to control the accessibility of specific areas within the business site. With automatic gates installed outside a certain area, access can be limited to particular members of the staff. This ensures that employees only enter the areas they are required to work in.
- Convenience – With modern technology used in these access solutions, getting in and out of the building is made easier and more convenient. Some types of gates can let through an average of 25 people per minute. There are also some designs that allow easy access for wheelchairs.
- Reduced Staffing –Since these gates are automated, they eliminate the need for an employee to be constantly present at the gate to control its operation. Authorised individuals can simply use their access cards to enter. This can help reduce the number of employees and save money.
- Cost-Effective Option – Gate openers are typically operated by a power source like electricity. But owing to the advents of new technology, now there are more cost-effective solutions available to reduce power consumption, thereby reducing the company’s expenses. Modern design changes include solar panels that absorb and store energy from sunlight. These solar panels can operate a solar gate opener without using much electrical power. Solar-powered units can operate for a day or two in the event that the main power fails.
When it comes to automated access solutions, Rotech is a name that one can rely on. We have been providing automatic gates and access solutions to many commercial and industrial companies. Our solutions can be customised to meet your needs and operational requirements. Contact us now and our friendly staff can walk you through our range of products.
Gate Openers|Unparalleled Security and Convenience
Did you ever have one of those days when nothing is going right? You spilled coffee on your expensive new suit, had to change and ended up running late for that 9am appointment. Just when you were a few metres away from work, it began to rain and unfortunately, you got soaking wet trying to open the gate (and closing it again!).
Your day wouldn’t have been so awful if you had an automatic gate opener installed. Then you could have stayed in the car, breezing through the gated driveway, and went about your day in a good mood. If you’re thinking of getting one, here are two common questions potential customers would ask about gate openers.
Why Should I Invest in Gate Openers?
That’s a good question and we’ll gladly explain why such an expenditure is worth every cent. Installing one definitely adds some style and raises the value of your property. Aside from that, you can benefit from the convenience and added protection:
1. Saves Time with Easy Access
Unlike manually opened gates, electronic gate openers make life easier for you with the use of keypads or remote controls to automatically allow access to your property and gated driveways at your command. Gone are the days when you have to fumble with the lock and key and it’s especially convenient when it’s raining. You don’t have to get out of your car just to let yourself in.
2. Keeps Your Property Secure
Just like in residential areas, commercial properties often need added security for various reasons: to protect from theft and vandalism and for privacy as well. Clients and office staff often accidentally leave the gate open, making your property vulnerable to unauthorised entry. It can help your security personnel monitor the people coming in and out of the premises as well. If you’re planning to install one at home, children and pets are kept within the property since they can’t easily open the latch or lock with a key.
What Should I Consider Before Buying?
1. Space – Opting for an automatic swinging gate means you should have a lot of free space for it to work properly. There should be substantial clearance for your car to pass through or for the gate not to hit anything as it swings backward. If the area is a little cramped, our range of sliding gate openers is an alternative.
2. Power Supply – Are you frequently experiencing power failure in your area? The Vector Swing Gate Operator has a battery back-up that allows you to use it even when there’s a power blackout. Examine the possibility of a solar power gate opener as well if you want to reduce power consumption. While keeping your family and property safe and secure, you’re also doing your part in preserving our natural resources.
3. Type of Property – Are you going to be using automatic operators for high traffic areas? How many times will you be using the gates in a day? Those are the questions you need to ask yourself to determine what kind of operator you are going to need. Commercial establishments would require more rigid security measures compared to homes.
4. Safety – All automatic gates should be fitted with safety devices to protect vehicles and pedestrians. Most automatic gates are set to close automatically after a pre-set time and a safety ground loop or PE safety beam is normally fitted. The safety loop detects the metal in vehicles and prevents the gate from closing, while the safety PE beam will detect pedestrians.
When it comes to security and convenience, gate openers have proven to be one of the top choices of businesses and homeowners alike. As the leading supplier of gate openers and manufacturer of automatic boom gates, Rotech aims to provide you with first class products that are aimed to match your security requirements.