Case Study | Deflating Experience for Rental Car Thieves
NEWS REPORT: A man is in hot water after allegedly driving a rental car at speeds up to 126kph in a wild police pursuit across the Mid North Coast. The car, a rental which had allegedly been stolen from Rutherford, was extensively damaged. Bellingen Shire Courier-Sun 23 Nov 2016
Unfortunately, this scenario is all too familiar for many Australian rental car companies.
Profit-motivated theft for scrap rackets and the black market trade in car parts account for around half of all non-recovered stolen vehicles. Car theft has become commonplace with rental car companies being prime targets – one company reported it lost as many as 40 vehicles a year from one of its sites.
In many cases lack of access control and/or effective supervision contributes to high theft rates in car parking areas. These deficiencies are principally due to economics however the cost of vehicle repairs, replacement and loss of future rental earnings now far outweigh any cost of securing their cars.
How some operators are defending their rental car fleet against thieves
Theft prevention involves controlling the parking area’s points of entry and exit – typically that means gated entrances and exit lanes manned by security guards, however some businesses are turning to automated vehicle access control technologies to provide a more efficient and cost-effective alternative.
For example, in an effort to curb car park theft several airport car rental operators have taken tough measures to discourage even the most brazen thieves. This has involved installing a combination of boom gates and tyre spikes in vulnerable locations:
- Vehicle storage carpark and car detailing area
In this area boom gates and tyre spikes are controlled by staff using remote radio transmitters.
- Airport car pick up exit – the rental car pick up process involves the customer collecting the car from the vehicle bay and driving to the exit where the attendant checks drivers licence and vehicle details. Once satisfied that the driver is the renter and the correct car has been collected the attendant uses a transmitter to lower the tyre spikes which automatically raises the boom pole when the spikes are fully closed.
Rotech has been supplying the Automatic Boom Gates/Sentinel CW Tyre Spikes combo for Australian rental car operators since 2012 – they have proven to be extremely effective in protecting vehicles from theft and a highly efficient method of controlling vehicle access to all types premises.
Sentinel CW Tyre Spikes are high security, high volume, fast acting barriers
- Featuring a high-torque DC motor these tyre spikes boast greater reliability and efficient operation for up to 2,000 operations a day.
- Made from heavy duty galvanised steel the robust Sentinel CW Tyre Spikes are built to disable even heavy vehicles, such as 20 tonne trucks.
- Manufactured to the highest quality, multiple interlocks stop spikes rising out of sequence and high vis bright yellow spikes provide increased safety.
Rotech Pedestrian Safety Recommendation
While the tyre spikes are highly visible, in situations where there are also people walking around the area where the spikes are, it is important to ensure additional safety measures are undertaken to protect pedestrians.
When considering using tyre spikes and boom gates to manage vehicle access Rotech strongly recommends installing a fully integrated boom gate/tyre spikes control system which incorporates traffic lights, safety beams, flashing lights and sirens to alert pedestrians that they are entering a dangerous area.
If you would like further information about this or other safety and security combinations for your premises call Alan Roberts on 07 3250 1123 or email email@example.com
Case Study | Car Park Entry Solution a Booming Success
The dilemma for building managers is to provide fast, convenient vehicle access for building residents while ensuring the car park entry is safe and secure.
With parking at a premium in, and around, the CBD restricting unauthorised vehicle access to private building car parks has become a huge concern for apartment owners.
Poor building security, particularly in upmarket venues, poses a risk of cars being damaged or stolen.
An Inner-city apartment block thought it had the answer
A prestige apartment complex, situated in a prime location and surrounded by busy roads, the building management sought to ensure their residents car park was easily accessible and secure.
Key considerations for controlling building car park access were:
- The need to accommodate a 4 metre wide car park entry with a low ceiling height
- The ability for residents to make a quick safe exit from a very busy street into the car park
- Securing vehicle access into the car park without creating great inconvenience to residents
- Keeping the cost of maintenance down despite the high frequency of gate use.
The installation of a drop wire automatic gate seemingly offered the perfect solution. Suited to underground car parks due to its low overhead clearance requirement this stainless steel wire gate also provided the desired level of security.
Why this wasn’t the best solution in this instance?
The gate needs continual maintenance and repair over and above normal operating wear and tear. This was a result of resident’s driving over the wire rope before it was fully down. Because the wire cable drops below the driver’s vision they were not always able to see when it had reached its resting position. This caused the wire rope to twist eventually leading to fraying as well as placing a strain on the motor resulting in damage to the internal brakes.
The very slow closing time of 7 seconds, necessary to allow for vehicle clearance, leaves time for a second vehicle to pass through behind the first vehicle – creating a serious risk to building security.
There were also instances reported to building management where the wire cable had lifted before the vehicle had cleared the steel rope, unfortunately safety beams alone do not always provide adequate protection.
Faced with high maintenance costs of the existing gate the apartment complex’s Body Corporate Manager was prompted to look for a more suitable alternative.
How Rotech’s Sentinel AG Automatic Boom Gate addressed all the issues
Accommodating the 4 metre wide car park entry with a low ceiling height
The drop wire gate was initially selected over an automatic boom gate as the underground car park ceiling height would not be sufficient to raise a standard boom pole long enough to extend across the width of the entrance.
Installing Rotech’s Sentinel AG automatic boom gate with an articulated arm meant that the 4 metre vehicle lane was secure and allowed a vehicle of up to 2.5 m high can pass underneath.
Enabling a safe and quick exit from a high traffic street into the car park
Engineered to deliver reliable, fast access control in high volume situations the Sentinel AG boom gate permits quick and convenient access by residents when entering or exiting the car park.
With adjustable speed control the Sentinel AG’s absolute encoder constantly monitors the speed and position of the boom pole. This allows the control unit to accurately adjust the speed on closing and opening providing high speed, smooth operation and longer life.
Increasing building security
All residents and authorised visitors are required to swipe an access card to raise the boom gate allowing entry to the car park. The Sentinel AG’s intelligent software prevents the problem of a second vehicle tailgating behind another vehicle by instantly lowering the pole to half-way – the gate will not open until the second vehicle presents an access card.
Mechanically tough and durable the strong gearbox and self locking mechanism prevents damage from vandalism as the pole cannot be forced.
High visibility and safety sensing prevents damage to cars
The electronic safety sensing function is an important safety feature of the Sentinel AG boom gate. The design of the boom gate’s motor ensures instant reversing of the boom pole if any of the safety devices are activated or if the pole is obstructed.
Strategically placed programmable warning lights on the top of the cabinet and along the boom pole enable residents can easily see the position of the boom pole, even at night. Loop detectors and safety beams also ensure vehicles and pedestrians alike are protected.
Low maintenance – frequent use
The hi-tech Sentinel AG boom gate’s unique design provides the residents with higher levels of performance in terms of safety, security, ease of use and more importantly – low maintenance costs.
The Sentinel AG boom gate features a revolutionary brushless motor which provides much greater reliability and efficiency and will handle up to 4000 operations per day. It’s ultra low power consumption and brushless motor requires minimal maintenance saving significant time and money on maintenance.
For more information about Rotech’s boom gate products visit our Automatic & Manual Boom Gates page.
We pride ourselves on bringing our customers the latest trends in gate automation products available in Australia. With our extensive range and high level of expertise we can provide you and your business with an access control solution to suit your needs.
Call Alan Roberts at ROTECH on 07 3250 1123.
How automated gate openers boost security and profit
It doesn’t matter whether you operate an industrial, commercial or retail business – you are not immune to theft.
It is increasingly important to understand how to better protect your property, minimise your business’s vulnerability to opportunistic thieves and increase your profitability.
Factors such as:
- reduced investment in loss prevention methods by businesses
- a perception pilfering is a low risk/non-offensive crime
- the ease of sale of stolen goods online
means businesses face ever increasing challenges and losses due to theft.
Losses due to theft are an avoidable chunk of revenue that could be lifting your bottom-line
Research undertaken by the Australian Institute of Criminology highlighted access control as an important tool businesses should include in their crime prevention strategy…
“Access control aims to increase the effort associated with committing an offence, usually though the
alteration of the physical environment or surroundings to make crimes more difficult.”
Using automated internal and external gates and barriers to control access is a proven and highly effective method of preventing unauthorised access and managing security.
Using automated gates to improve security and profitability
There is increasing local and international concern about crimes against small business. Australia has over 1.9 million small businesses and proportionally there are more crimes committed against businesses than households – the most common being burglary followed by theft.
Australian Federal Police statistics show workplace theft costs Australian businesses about $1.5 billion a year and the problem is growing.
If your industrial yard, warehouse or commercial business is prone to theft using an automated gate can be an effective and efficient solution.
Teamed with remote control, key card or keypad options – using an automatic gate opener to control heavy-duty swing gates and sliding gates can significantly prevent access for unauthorised vehicles and would-be burglars.
Depending on the nature of your business, automatic boom gates may provide a better alternative to swing or sliding gates as they allow for fast vehicle access while allowing security guards to manage stock control at exit points.
Alternatively, full height turnstiles are becoming a popular option for businesses that require a high level of pedestrian security for visitors and recording time and attendance of employees. Combined with an anti-climb mesh and a card reader, a full height turnstile is highly effective method of restricting access.
Human error can foster opportunistic crime – how many times have you or a staff member forgotten to close the gate after entering or exiting? By installing an automated gate opener you won’t need to worry about entry points accidentally being left wide open for thieves. An adjustable automatic close timer minimises the time available to pass through the gate making it difficult for unauthorised access.
No power – no problem
In the event of a power failure, automatic gate openers can be operated via a battery pack, which can increase the security in times of vulnerability, providing peace of mind that property is protected whatever the circumstances.
If you are thinking about upgrading your business security, Rotech can help, providing a full range of automated gate openers, boom gates, turnstiles and supermarket gates. Talk to the experts about solutions for protecting your bottom line.
Rotech Safety Solutions | Boom Gates Protecting our most vulnerable pedestrians
Road accidents are one of the highest causes of child deaths and injuries in Australia. The most prevalent area for vehicle accidents, after the home, is at school. The sad part of this is most of these accidents are preventable.
- 204 pedestrians under the age of 14 were killed in locations outside the home
- 4,440 were seriously injured vehicle accidents, including instances of low-speed run-over
- 14% of deaths occurred in car parks and roads in places such as schools, universities, hospitals, factory premises and so on – where we would expect vehicles to be travelling at low speeds and performing low-speed manoeuvres.
Department of Infrastructure and Transport report on Child Pedestrian Safety: ’driveway deaths’ and ‘low-speed vehicle run-overs’, Australia, 2001–10
Safety within our schools has highest priority
Traffic and parking problems are significant issues for schools and are putting children at risk of being injured or worse, particularly during drop off and pick up times. Children by nature are impulsive, easily distracted and have little sense of danger. Many incidents of school car park pedestrian accidents across Australia has moved schools to look for ways to better manage the safety and well-being of pupils.
Conscious of their obligations schools place a high priority on implementing appropriate measures to prevent physical injury to pupils when the children are under their control.
Mooloolaba State School – acts to protect its most valuable assets
As part of its concerns for the welfare of its pupils and given the layout of its grounds Mooloolaba State School sought to make access to its grounds safer.
A key issue was that parents were ignoring the designated drop off area and driving through the main gates to the teachers car park. The teacher’s car park is generally a restricted zone and despite being designated “out of bounds” for students and unauthorised vehicles there was nothing to prevent access to this area.
What was needed was the ability to strictly control the access into the teacher’s car parking area during morning drop-off and afternoon pick-ups.
When a road is not a road – you need a boom gate
Although the road entry to the teacher’s car park was already gated – the gate needed to be left open during the day to allow convenient vehicle access.
The best solution for this situation was to install a boom gate with a timer that closes the boom gate during drop off times and re-opens after school has started. A keypad allows teachers, administration staff and authorised visitors access to the area during the period the boom gate is down. The system requires no supervision and is fully automatic.
There was no available mains power supply at the location which would normally necessitate digging up the driving way to lay power cables. However choosing to install Rotech’s Sector 12vdc automatic boom gate was the ideal product to address Mooloolaba State Schools requirements.
The Sector automatic boom gate is low voltage, high speed, battery driven, safety sensing and designed for high-volume traffic control environments. Adding the solar powered option meant there was no need to run high voltage cables to the gate which was a significant saving to the cost of installation.
We understand parents give considerable weight to safety and security when selecting a school for their child to attend and were pleased to have enabled Mooloolaba State School with its commitment to protecting its pupils.
Case Study| Boom Gates Essential for a Safe Landing
A NEW helicopter pad was opened last year at Tamworth hospital as part of a multi-million-dollar redevelopment project.
The limitations of the old heli-pad made it difficult to land if wind conditions were poor. The new heli-pad is better positioned and built closer to the emergency department to provide quick access to transport patients for urgent treatment.
Safety becomes an Issue: emergency helicopters vs road traffic
The new convenient location of the helicopter pad at Tamworth hospital created a unique set of circumstances:
- Situated between the heli-pad and the hospital is Smith Street
- Smith Street is a busy local roadway
- When helicopters land and take off they create a downdraft as high as 89km
- There is a danger to both vehicles and pedestrians from flying debris thrown by the high velocity flow near the rotor.
The proximity of the heli-pad to Smith Street means any vehicle or pedestrian in the vicinity while an emergency helicopter is trying to land or take off would be adversely affected by a strong downdraft.
As with all helicopter emergency cases, time is critical – a solution to safely managing access to the common traffic area between the aircraft and motor vehicles needed to involve a very quick response time.
The Boom Gate Solution
Rotech worked with Steensen Varming to devise an effective resolution to the issue of how to stop both the outgoing and incoming traffic in Smith Street when a helicopter was in the vicinity.
The result was to install two boom gates at along Smith Street to stop vehicle access and fit pedestrian warning lights at appropriate locations.
To save precious time – a long range transmitter fitted to the helicopter activates the following equipment from up to 20 km away:
- Existing helipad lights
- Wind sock lights
- Flood lights
- Pedestrian warning lights
- Ambulance warning light
Boom gates close
30 seconds after the warning lights are activated the boom gates come down – this allows any traffic in the midstream to pass beyond the danger zone before the helicopter reaches the heli-pad.
Rotech’s solution plays an important role in getting patients quickly and safely from the heli-pad into the emergency department for treatment.
For more information about Rotech’s boom gate products visit our Automatic & Manual Boom Gates page.
We have been fulfilling all types of automation control demands for more than 15 years with a wide variety of products. Customised solutions are our speciality – we are certain that with our extensive range and high level of expertise, we will be able to provide you and your business with a customised solution to suit your need.
Call Alan Roberts at ROTECH on 07 3205 1123.
Industries That Can’t Live Without Boom Gates
Secure vehicle access is vital for a broad range of industries. From caravan parks, hospital car parking and shopping malls to ports and railway crossings, boom gates are an essential tool for 21st Century management of vehicle access. And for some industries, being able to monetise entry and exit is also crucial.
We take a look at the use of automatic boom gates and a few key features of their operation.
Useful in a variety of industries
In many situations automatic gates are required to deal with a heavy flow of traffic.
- Shopping malls for example, have hundreds of paid car spaces and the flow of traffic in and out necessitates smooth, reliable and efficient operation.
- Hospitals, residential high-rise car parks, major building sites and busy dispatch and delivery areas all need to use automatic boom gates.
- At government facilities, such as parliament buildings, military installations, and at ports, mines, airports and other secure facilities, monitoring in the past was usually done by a designated person who checked credentials and allowed traffic in and out. Now technology is helping to make the process more automated and even more secure. Of course, sometimes a security guard manning the gates is still necessary.
- Other types of industries such as those dealing with under 600 cars a day, for example a factory car park which requires some level of security, will need less sophisticated operation of the boom gates, but still have to assure security on the site and manage the flow of traffic.
How modern boom gates work
With ticket or credit card payment options, boom gates offer a secure barrier and almost instant access and exit when triggered. Gate openers can also be operated by a computer or even a mobile phone when applicable. As well, there is now the option of solar powered gate openers, which is both environmentally friendly and a bonus for electricity usage.
Keypad, tag, or card readers can all be used with boom gates to increase security and control the flow of traffic. These automatic gates are also fast. These days, it can take less than three seconds to rise fully. Vandal proof, linked to fire alarm system where necessary and using the latest in proximity card readers, quality boom gates will heighten security and manage vehicular traffic reliably for many years with regular maintenance.
Need to install or update your boom gates?
Rotech has been operating in Australia since 1999, providing a full range of boom gates and associated safety and security products. Connect with us now and discover how we can help you, no matter your industry.
What You Ought To Know Before Choosing a Sliding Gate Operator
Does your home or office needs extra protection and easier access? Then install an effective automatic security gate system.
An automatic sliding gate motor on your new or existing sliding gate will promote a safer, convenient and more secure home or work environment. Automatic sliding gates openers, like automatic boom gates and turnstiles, improve your privacy and protect your business from unwanted intrusion. These types of access control systems will also increase the value of your property, especially as security becomes a more relevant issue in our world today.
But, before installing the operator, you need to consider which motor is really right for your property. To help decide which sliding gate opener is the best option for your property, answer these four crucial questions.
What size and weight is your gate?
The type of sliding gate operator you choose is dependent on the size and weight of your existing gate. The heavier or longer your gate is dictates the size of the motor you choose. Sliding gate operators are available from domestic light duty for residential properties to industrial extreme heavy duty for factories and site entrances.
Is solar right for you?
Sliding gate operators come with solar options. This is especially good if you are on a rural property or have limited access to a power source. You will need to consider the position of the gate in regards to light as large trees or structures may inhibit the effectiveness of the solar output. Solar technology has come a very long way and is more reliable than ever; however, choose an operator that has “battery back-up” so that on the days of limited light you can draw on the saved backed up energy stored in the battery.
How fast do you want your gate to open?
Knowing how fast you want your gate to open will help you decide which sliding security gate system is right for your property. If the gate is in a vulnerable area, a fast entry and exit is important, so as not to leave yourself, your property or your vehicle unprotected in the interim of opening and closing. You may require quick entry to your property if your driveway is on a busy road, so as not to hold up the traffic or trigger tail gate accidents. Choose a gate operator that allows speed to be independently adjusted. That way you have complete control, allowing yourself a quick entry followed by a safer and slower closing speed. For this reason, sliding gate operators are available in standard and safe turbo speeds.
How do you want to control the gate access to your property?
Depending on the level of security and ease of access that you want, you can choose from a variety of access control methods to open and close your gate. These include: remote control access, keypad access, photo electric beam (PE) through beams or even access using your mobile phone! A large range of access control equipment from transmitters to PE beams, keypads and GSM mobile phone devices are available here at Rotech.
Whether you want to increase your security and safety, or you simply want to have the convenience fast and easy entry and exit, installing sliding gate operator offers both benefits.
Looking for top quality sliding gate systems? Give us a call or send us a message at Rotech, we provide a range of access control systems that can be custom-made to fit your needs and requirements. From automatic boom gates and turnstiles, to sliding gates motors and solar gate openers, our team will help you choose the right security gate system for your property.
Explaining Pros & Cons of Solar-Powered Gate Openers to Clients
Solar-powered gate openers are rising in popularity because of innovations in solar technology which have significantly improved their reliability. The cost of solar panels has also come down considerably over the past few years. That is why many consumers are seriously considering them. However, not everyone might think that they are an ideal solution.
When it comes to explaining solar-powered gate openers to your clients, it’s always good to emphasise the following attributes to help them consider having one installed at their property.
What’s in it for your clients?
- Savings – Clients can now enjoy lower energy bills. Since this type of opener uses energy coming from the sun, it’s virtually free. Aside from the initial product cost and installation fees, they won’t be spending more for the operation. Even in very poor light conditions, testing has shown that the gate will still operate for up to 10 operations per day
- Installation – Solar power allows you to install a gate opener or boom gate in a remote location or one that has limited access to a power source. Of course, this also means that the labour that goes into the installation of the unit is reduced, as there is no need to dig up roadways in order to run high voltage cables to the gate.
- Safety – with solar power, access to a property is never an issue as the gate will not fail during power outages. This means that your client will never have to leave their car unattended while they open the gate and will never be left feeling vulnerable, especially late at night or in areas of high crime.
What do you need to tell your clients?
Each installation of a solar-powered gate operator has to be assessed to ensure that they work correctly for the environment they are in and the type of job they are required to do. As a gate manufacturer, it’s best to know these. Read the following list to be guided:
- The size of the solar panel will depend on the number of operations per day and the amount of accessories (PE beams, intercom) that may be fitted.
- Solar panels need to be mounted in a position where they will get the most sunlight, away from over shadowing trees or buildings.
- The brackets holding the panel should be of high quality stainless steel for durability, especially since they are exposed to the elements.
Equipped with this information, you can now explain to your clients in detail what benefits they can get and what limitations they can expect from the application.
As soon as they’re ready to make use of this technology, we’ll be ready at Rotech to help you. As one of Australia’s leading providers of gate operators, boom gates and turnstiles, it is our priority to supply gate manufacturers and security companies with first-class products. Rotech can also customise products to suit a client’s needs. With our 30-years of experience in the industry, our technical support team will gladly assist you with product information and integration.
Safety and Maintenance Tips | Gate Openers
We have been writing about the benefits of installing gate openers and the security they can provide for your homes and commercial establishments. But what should you do after you have them installed? In this post, we’ll review safety precautions as well as maintenance guidelines after installation.
Reducing Risks of Injuries
Too many times, people don’t take heed of precautions when they buy or have something new installed. Just as automatic gate openers keep you safe from trespassers, you should also protect yourself, your family and employees by following these safety tips:
- LISTEN to the technicians when they teach you about safety precautions to lower the risks of injuries. They will also teach you about ‘entrapment zones’, places everyone should avoid at all times.
- Children shouldn’t be allowed to play with controls. Make sure to keep the remote control, push buttons or switches away from their reach.
- Moving gate openers may look ‘fun’ to tiny tots and the first thing they can think of is to ride the barrier. Talk to them about the importance of staying away from the vicinity. Better yet, an adult should be present all the time, especially when there are toddlers around.
- Are your motorised gates not functioning properly? Avoid the DIY route even if you’re quite handy. It’s better to call professionals and have them check on the issue.
- Never attempt to reach through the barriers.
- If you’re fond of beating the red light, you shouldn’t be doing the same thing to your gate and beat it while it’s moving to close or open. It’s dangerous to do that as you can easily get caught.
Maintenance to Ensure Product Longevity
Rotech’s high-end automatic gate openers don’t actually need to be checked often. But like anything that’s used often and usually exposed to harsh elements, you need to schedule regular upkeep. Take note of the following guidelines:
- Before doing any type of maintenance, turn the power off.
- If you had a solar gate opener installed, clean the solar panels at least once a year. However, if the environment is unusually dusty, it’s important to clean them more often. Dust and grime covering the panels will affect its efficiency.
- Hinges are expected to bear the heavy work. It’s important to lubricate them at least once a year.
- Avoid using penetrating oil sprays like WD-40 for hinges and wheels. Heavy grease is more suited for this application.
At Rotech, our technical support team is always ready to help you out. We’re widely known for the reliability of our products and expertise. If you have anything on your mind about maintenance or simply would like to know more about our products such as boom gates, contact us or let us know in the comments section below.
5 Things to Consider when Installing Solar Gate Openers
Manually opening your gates when you arrive at work or at home can be a time-consuming and inconvenient process. In the age of smart phones and wireless technology, why wouldn’t you automate a task to save you time and energy?
Technology in gate automation has advanced greatly over the past two decades. Solar gate openers are currently gaining popularity because of the numerous advantages that they have to offer. There are a number of benefits of using solar to power your gates; the biggest being that the power used is generated for free and is endlessly environmentally-friendly.
Those who are planning to utilise this technology should be well informed before making the switch; there are several considerations that must be made when installing a solar gate opener and here are some of them:
1. The type of gate you use. Different types of gates are used across various industries today. With almost infinite combinations of swinging gates, sliding gates, light or heavy-duty, steel or aluminium depending on the industry or home; the gate’s solar powered opener can be custom-made to meet the user’s operational needs.
2. The area of installation. Solar panels should be installed in an area where they can get maximum sunlight. Such areas should be away from tall buildings and trees that can cover or cast shadows on the solar panels most of the day. Placing these devices in a favourable position free from these obstructions allows them to absorb and store as much solar power as possible. Solar also offers a battery back-up feature that render them usable when the main power supply fails.
3. The gate’s workload. This factor must be determined to figure out the right size solar panel necessary for continuous operations. The size of the solar panels needed largely depends on the amount of work that the gate has to handle on a daily basis. The more it is used, the more energy is needed and the bigger the panel must be. A gate’s number of opening and closing cycles vary widely between industries. It is recommended to choose products that are rated with the most number of cycles and are longer lasting, especially for heavy-duty gates.
4. The cost. Purchasing solar gate openers is a form of investment for businesses. One must be wise when buying to make sure that the product is worth the investment. The cost of installation is also another factor to consider. While it may seem more economical to choose the lowest priced product or lowest installation rates, it is important to note that the cheapest option may not always be the best.
5. The product’s quality. When it comes to equipment of any kind, the quality should never be compromised by the cost. High quality products are proven to give optimum performance and last much longer. In the long run, high quality products can save businesses from hefty repair costs and purchasing new products to replace faulty ones.
To make the best choices and investments in solar gate openers, choose the company that has specialised in these advanced access solutions for more than 30 years, choose Rotech. We are proud providers of high quality gate openers and gate automation solutions like turnstiles and boom gates. Need your equipment customised? No problem! We specialise in customised solutions. We can build systems to meet specific commercial and industrial requirements. Give us a call and let us know how we can help. Get the security and convenience you need only from Rotech.
5 Reasons Why To Use Automated Gates
Business sites, just like the businesses themselves, are highly valuable investments and they need to be well protected from potential threats. For this reason, pedestrian access solutions are popularly used in commercial and industrial settings. Nowadays automatic boom gates, turnstiles and many other access solutions are widely used in shopping centres, hospitals, banks, car parks, transit stations, and other types of commercial establishments.
There are a number of reasons why these types of access control systems must be installed in buildings or any major business site. Owners of commercial and industrial establishments should deliberate on this matter to protect their investment. Here are some reasons why automated access solutions would be necessary.
- Safety and Security – These are two primary concerns in commercial and industrial buildings. In most cases, these establishments have several areas that need to be secured. One security measure that can be taken is to install turnstiles at the entrance and other significant places. These gates can only be opened by those who are allowed entry, using access cards, wristbands or tags. This reduces the risk of unauthorised entry to the premises.
- Controlled Access – Other than security from trespassers, automated gates also help to control the accessibility of specific areas within the business site. With automatic gates installed outside a certain area, access can be limited to particular members of the staff. This ensures that employees only enter the areas they are required to work in.
- Convenience – With modern technology used in these access solutions, getting in and out of the building is made easier and more convenient. Some types of gates can let through an average of 25 people per minute. There are also some designs that allow easy access for wheelchairs.
- Reduced Staffing –Since these gates are automated, they eliminate the need for an employee to be constantly present at the gate to control its operation. Authorised individuals can simply use their access cards to enter. This can help reduce the number of employees and save money.
- Cost-Effective Option – Gate openers are typically operated by a power source like electricity. But owing to the advents of new technology, now there are more cost-effective solutions available to reduce power consumption, thereby reducing the company’s expenses. Modern design changes include solar panels that absorb and store energy from sunlight. These solar panels can operate a solar gate opener without using much electrical power. Solar-powered units can operate for a day or two in the event that the main power fails.
When it comes to automated access solutions, Rotech is a name that one can rely on. We have been providing automatic gates and access solutions to many commercial and industrial companies. Our solutions can be customised to meet your needs and operational requirements. Contact us now and our friendly staff can walk you through our range of products.
Gate Openers|Unparalleled Security and Convenience
Did you ever have one of those days when nothing is going right? You spilled coffee on your expensive new suit, had to change and ended up running late for that 9am appointment. Just when you were a few metres away from work, it began to rain and unfortunately, you got soaking wet trying to open the gate (and closing it again!).
Your day wouldn’t have been so awful if you had an automatic gate opener installed. Then you could have stayed in the car, breezing through the gated driveway, and went about your day in a good mood. If you’re thinking of getting one, here are two common questions potential customers would ask about gate openers.
Why Should I Invest in Gate Openers?
That’s a good question and we’ll gladly explain why such an expenditure is worth every cent. Installing one definitely adds some style and raises the value of your property. Aside from that, you can benefit from the convenience and added protection:
1. Saves Time with Easy Access
Unlike manually opened gates, electronic gate openers make life easier for you with the use of keypads or remote controls to automatically allow access to your property and gated driveways at your command. Gone are the days when you have to fumble with the lock and key and it’s especially convenient when it’s raining. You don’t have to get out of your car just to let yourself in.
2. Keeps Your Property Secure
Just like in residential areas, commercial properties often need added security for various reasons: to protect from theft and vandalism and for privacy as well. Clients and office staff often accidentally leave the gate open, making your property vulnerable to unauthorised entry. It can help your security personnel monitor the people coming in and out of the premises as well. If you’re planning to install one at home, children and pets are kept within the property since they can’t easily open the latch or lock with a key.
What Should I Consider Before Buying?
1. Space – Opting for an automatic swinging gate means you should have a lot of free space for it to work properly. There should be substantial clearance for your car to pass through or for the gate not to hit anything as it swings backward. If the area is a little cramped, our range of sliding gate openers is an alternative.
2. Power Supply – Are you frequently experiencing power failure in your area? The Vector Swing Gate Operator has a battery back-up that allows you to use it even when there’s a power blackout. Examine the possibility of a solar power gate opener as well if you want to reduce power consumption. While keeping your family and property safe and secure, you’re also doing your part in preserving our natural resources.
3. Type of Property – Are you going to be using automatic operators for high traffic areas? How many times will you be using the gates in a day? Those are the questions you need to ask yourself to determine what kind of operator you are going to need. Commercial establishments would require more rigid security measures compared to homes.
4. Safety – All automatic gates should be fitted with safety devices to protect vehicles and pedestrians. Most automatic gates are set to close automatically after a pre-set time and a safety ground loop or PE safety beam is normally fitted. The safety loop detects the metal in vehicles and prevents the gate from closing, while the safety PE beam will detect pedestrians.
When it comes to security and convenience, gate openers have proven to be one of the top choices of businesses and homeowners alike. As the leading supplier of gate openers and manufacturer of automatic boom gates, Rotech aims to provide you with first class products that are aimed to match your security requirements.
5 Things to Consider when Choosing the Right Boom Gate for Your Property
Boom gates are one of the most useful security tools in controlling vehicle access to commercial and industrial properties. A boom gate is a bar or pole that can be lowered and raised to allow or block access to an area. They help regulate the entry of vehicles and unauthorised personnel in buildings and offices, which is why companies should consider investing in boom gates to secure their premises.
There are many kinds and designs of boom gates today that cater to a variety of purposes, and finding the correct type of boom gate is critical to ensure that you have adequate protection for your property.
Our experts at Rotech can help you identify the right product that fits your requirements with our comprehensive range of door and gate automation systems that include boom gates, among others. To guide you in selecting the right boom gate, here are a few things you need to consider:
- Application – Before purchasing a boom gate, you must first determine where you will be installing it and how you will operate the boom gate. There are boom gates that are specifically designed for use in railway crossings, car parks, office complexes, factory entrances and other industrial environments. It is necessary to find one that fits your desired application correctly to ensure that it meets your needs.
- Frequency of operation – The duty cycle or frequency of operation of a boom gate is another factor that must be taken into account. For areas with high traffic that requires more than 500 operations a day, such as large shopping centres or airports, choosing a medium to heavy duty boom gate is highly advised. Nevertheless, there are also boom gates that are suited for areas with low traffic volumes.
- Size – Rotech supply boom gates with different size poles depending on the size of opening that you wish to control. Typically boom arms will be from three to six metres in length however our KL heavy duty boom gate can span openings of 12 metres. This is especially useful when companies have oversized vehicles, such as mine sites and rail crossings.
- Features – Many of these boom gates come with battery backup, high opening speeds and solar power compatibility. Selecting boom gates that can be fitted with important security devices, such as PE safety beams, loop detectors, flashing safety lights and radio controls are also preferable especially for high risk areas.
- Price – Your choice of boom gates would also largely depend upon your budget. However, you should never compromise safety in place of lower costs. Be sure to choose a durable boom gate to suit the right application at a price you can afford.
When it comes to selecting the right boom gates to maintain heightened security in your property, our team at Rotech can help. We are a trusted supplier and manufacturer of high quality boom gates that include the Sentinel NV series, Sector DC boom gate and Sentinel KL series.
Rotech has been providing superior door and gate automation products in Australia since 1999 and we are proud to continue our mission of bringing only high quality products such as boom gates, gate openers, full and waist height turnstiles, supermarket gates and a range of related safety and security products. We encourage you to contact us today to learn more about how we can help you.