Why Solar-Powered Gates Come up Trumps
While the new US President has opened his tenure with a bang, the last thing you want is this happening to your entrance gates. A smooth transition would be nice, wouldn’t it?
And if you’ve never considered a solar gate opener to make that smooth transition possible, you should. There’s a range of benefits associated with solar-powered gates that go beyond the obvious electricity savings – although that’s certainly one of them.
Let’s take a look.
Gone are the days where green-themed products had diminished capabilities compared with their hard-wired counterparts. Modern boom gates, swing gates and sliding solar gate openers are heavy duty and able to cope with a variety of commercial and industrial applications, as well as residential requirements. They also come with the full range of features, including:
- Battery backup
- Programmable operating modes
- Timers to give access during working hours, but not on weekends, for example
- Transmitter remote controls
- Adjustable opening and closing speeds – faster open, slower close, for example
- Safety sensors
- Rugged, weather-resistant sealed control panels.
Free power, renewable from the sun
Using free renewable energy from the sun to power gates can save a lot on electricity bills – particularly in high traffic areas where gates are operating all the time, or when gates are large or heavy.
There’s no better feeling than using Australia’s burning sun to reduce the heat on your bank account!
An eco-friendly option
We all understand the importance of reducing our carbon footprint for future sustainability. Using a solar-powered gate opener is a great investment when you consider the potential financial savings on electricity.
But many businesses and individuals are also switching to solar for ethical reasons – the sun is a renewable resource compared to coal-generated power.
Perfect for remote locations
In rural and remote locations, mains power isn’t always available. Solar-powered openers come into their own here. With a variety of styles and functions, solar gate openers for swing and sliding gates, boom gates, and even turnstiles are brilliant off-grid, eco-friendly, reliable solutions.
The electricity savings alone mean solar power is worth considering. But as you can see, there’s many other benefits too. If you’d like to discuss installing solar gate openers in domestic, commercial or industrial settings, give us a call to find out more about the options.
Rotech Safety Solutions | Boom Gates Protecting our most vulnerable pedestrians
Road accidents are one of the highest causes of child deaths and injuries in Australia. The most prevalent area for vehicle accidents, after the home, is at school. The sad part of this is most of these accidents are preventable.
- 204 pedestrians under the age of 14 were killed in locations outside the home
- 4,440 were seriously injured vehicle accidents, including instances of low-speed run-over
- 14% of deaths occurred in car parks and roads in places such as schools, universities, hospitals, factory premises and so on – where we would expect vehicles to be travelling at low speeds and performing low-speed manoeuvres.
Department of Infrastructure and Transport report on Child Pedestrian Safety: ’driveway deaths’ and ‘low-speed vehicle run-overs’, Australia, 2001–10
Safety within our schools has highest priority
Traffic and parking problems are significant issues for schools and are putting children at risk of being injured or worse, particularly during drop off and pick up times. Children by nature are impulsive, easily distracted and have little sense of danger. Many incidents of school car park pedestrian accidents across Australia has moved schools to look for ways to better manage the safety and well-being of pupils.
Conscious of their obligations schools place a high priority on implementing appropriate measures to prevent physical injury to pupils when the children are under their control.
Mooloolaba State School – acts to protect its most valuable assets
As part of its concerns for the welfare of its pupils and given the layout of its grounds Mooloolaba State School sought to make access to its grounds safer.
A key issue was that parents were ignoring the designated drop off area and driving through the main gates to the teachers car park. The teacher’s car park is generally a restricted zone and despite being designated “out of bounds” for students and unauthorised vehicles there was nothing to prevent access to this area.
What was needed was the ability to strictly control the access into the teacher’s car parking area during morning drop-off and afternoon pick-ups.
When a road is not a road – you need a boom gate
Although the road entry to the teacher’s car park was already gated – the gate needed to be left open during the day to allow convenient vehicle access.
The best solution for this situation was to install a boom gate with a timer that closes the boom gate during drop off times and re-opens after school has started. A keypad allows teachers, administration staff and authorised visitors access to the area during the period the boom gate is down. The system requires no supervision and is fully automatic.
There was no available mains power supply at the location which would normally necessitate digging up the driving way to lay power cables. However choosing to install Rotech’s Sector 12vdc automatic boom gate was the ideal product to address Mooloolaba State Schools requirements.
The Sector automatic boom gate is low voltage, high speed, battery driven, safety sensing and designed for high-volume traffic control environments. Adding the solar powered option meant there was no need to run high voltage cables to the gate which was a significant saving to the cost of installation.
We understand parents give considerable weight to safety and security when selecting a school for their child to attend and were pleased to have enabled Mooloolaba State School with its commitment to protecting its pupils.
If you have a particular access control situation you need a cost effective, creative solution for give Alan Roberts a call on (07) 3205 1123 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rotech Safety Solutions | Boom gate and pedestrian Gate combo saving lives
Workplace Health & Safety Laws in Australia are among the toughest in the world. While a safe working environment is a high priority for most businesses – when safety issues are ignored the costs are high – both for the person injured and for the business.
From 2003 to 2015:
- over 7400 work-place injuries were caused by forklift accidents in Australia
- 50% of forklift accidents involved pedestrians and resulted in 68 pedestrian deaths.
(Ref: Comcare.gov.au and Worksafe)
In a recent case where a forklift accident caused a severe injury to an employee, a well-known manufacturer was ordered to pay a civil penalty of $150,000 for the breach.
Minimising the Risk
In a situation where employee walkways cross areas where heavy industrial vehicles are operating there is the potential for something to go terribly wrong – it is simply a matter of time.
An obvious solution to this problem is to separate pedestrians from forklifts. While designated pedestrian walkways do separate the vehicle traffic from pedestrian thoroughfares it doesn’t go far enough, particularly in areas where the pedestrian traffic and the forklift traffic intersect.
This situation can be easily managed with the installation of automatic pedestrian swing gates on the walkway and a boom gate across road. Electric locking mechanisms manage the operation of the gates to ensure only one gate is open at a time.
If you are looking for a solution to a vehicle or pedestrian access control issue – we are confident that, with our extensive range and high level of expertise, we will be able to provide you with a customised resolution to suit your situation.
Rotech’s range of automatic boom gates are designed to ensure quick, safe and secure vehicle access control.
Our pedestrian swing gate openers with electronic safety and positive locking provide the safest and most efficient option for industrial gates.
Rotech offers multiple options across our considerable product range including solar powered equipment. Customised solutions can also be provided for specific applications involving vehicle or pedestrian access control.
For more information about our product range call Alan Roberts at Rotech on (07) 3250 1123.
Case Study| Boom Gates Essential for a Safe Landing
A NEW helicopter pad was opened last year at Tamworth hospital as part of a multi-million-dollar redevelopment project.
The limitations of the old heli-pad made it difficult to land if wind conditions were poor. The new heli-pad is better positioned and built closer to the emergency department to provide quick access to transport patients for urgent treatment.
Safety becomes an Issue: emergency helicopters vs road traffic
The new convenient location of the helicopter pad at Tamworth hospital created a unique set of circumstances:
- Situated between the heli-pad and the hospital is Smith Street
- Smith Street is a busy local roadway
- When helicopters land and take off they create a downdraft as high as 89km
- There is a danger to both vehicles and pedestrians from flying debris thrown by the high velocity flow near the rotor.
The proximity of the heli-pad to Smith Street means any vehicle or pedestrian in the vicinity while an emergency helicopter is trying to land or take off would be adversely affected by a strong downdraft.
As with all helicopter emergency cases, time is critical – a solution to safely managing access to the common traffic area between the aircraft and motor vehicles needed to involve a very quick response time.
The Boom Gate Solution
Rotech worked with Steensen Varming to devise an effective resolution to the issue of how to stop both the outgoing and incoming traffic in Smith Street when a helicopter was in the vicinity.
The result was to install two boom gates at along Smith Street to stop vehicle access and fit pedestrian warning lights at appropriate locations.
To save precious time – a long range transmitter fitted to the helicopter activates the following equipment from up to 20 km away:
- Existing helipad lights
- Wind sock lights
- Flood lights
- Pedestrian warning lights
- Ambulance warning light
Boom gates close
30 seconds after the warning lights are activated the boom gates come down – this allows any traffic in the midstream to pass beyond the danger zone before the helicopter reaches the heli-pad.
Rotech’s solution plays an important role in getting patients quickly and safely from the heli-pad into the emergency department for treatment.
For more information about Rotech’s boom gate products visit our Automatic & Manual Boom Gates page.
We have been fulfilling all types of automation control demands for more than 15 years with a wide variety of products. Customised solutions are our speciality – we are certain that with our extensive range and high level of expertise, we will be able to provide you and your business with a customised solution to suit your need.
Call Alan Roberts at ROTECH on 07 3250 1123.
Industries That Can’t Live Without Boom Gates
Secure vehicle access is vital for a broad range of industries. From caravan parks, hospital car parking and shopping malls to ports and railway crossings, boom gates are an essential tool for 21st Century management of vehicle access. And for some industries, being able to monetise entry and exit is also crucial.
We take a look at the use of automatic boom gates and a few key features of their operation.
Useful in a variety of industries
In many situations automatic gates are required to deal with a heavy flow of traffic.
- Shopping malls for example, have hundreds of paid car spaces and the flow of traffic in and out necessitates smooth, reliable and efficient operation.
- Hospitals, residential high-rise car parks, major building sites and busy dispatch and delivery areas all need to use automatic boom gates.
- At government facilities, such as parliament buildings, military installations, and at ports, mines, airports and other secure facilities, monitoring in the past was usually done by a designated person who checked credentials and allowed traffic in and out. Now technology is helping to make the process more automated and even more secure. Of course, sometimes a security guard manning the gates is still necessary.
- Other types of industries such as those dealing with under 600 cars a day, for example a factory car park which requires some level of security, will need less sophisticated operation of the boom gates, but still have to assure security on the site and manage the flow of traffic.
How modern boom gates work
With ticket or credit card payment options, boom gates offer a secure barrier and almost instant access and exit when triggered. Gate openers can also be operated by a computer or even a mobile phone when applicable. As well, there is now the option of solar powered gate openers, which is both environmentally friendly and a bonus for electricity usage.
Keypad, tag, or card readers can all be used with boom gates to increase security and control the flow of traffic. These automatic gates are also fast. These days, it can take less than three seconds to rise fully. Vandal proof, linked to fire alarm system where necessary and using the latest in proximity card readers, quality boom gates will heighten security and manage vehicular traffic reliably for many years with regular maintenance.
Need to install or update your boom gates?
Rotech has been operating in Australia since 1999, providing a full range of boom gates and associated safety and security products. Connect with us now and discover how we can help you, no matter your industry.
Safety and Maintenance Tips | Gate Openers
We have been writing about the benefits of installing gate openers and the security they can provide for your homes and commercial establishments. But what should you do after you have them installed? In this post, we’ll review safety precautions as well as maintenance guidelines after installation.
Reducing Risks of Injuries
Too many times, people don’t take heed of precautions when they buy or have something new installed. Just as automatic gate openers keep you safe from trespassers, you should also protect yourself, your family and employees by following these safety tips:
- LISTEN to the technicians when they teach you about safety precautions to lower the risks of injuries. They will also teach you about ‘entrapment zones’, places everyone should avoid at all times.
- Children shouldn’t be allowed to play with controls. Make sure to keep the remote control, push buttons or switches away from their reach.
- Moving gate openers may look ‘fun’ to tiny tots and the first thing they can think of is to ride the barrier. Talk to them about the importance of staying away from the vicinity. Better yet, an adult should be present all the time, especially when there are toddlers around.
- Are your motorised gates not functioning properly? Avoid the DIY route even if you’re quite handy. It’s better to call professionals and have them check on the issue.
- Never attempt to reach through the barriers.
- If you’re fond of beating the red light, you shouldn’t be doing the same thing to your gate and beat it while it’s moving to close or open. It’s dangerous to do that as you can easily get caught.
Maintenance to Ensure Product Longevity
Rotech’s high-end automatic gate openers don’t actually need to be checked often. But like anything that’s used often and usually exposed to harsh elements, you need to schedule regular upkeep. Take note of the following guidelines:
- Before doing any type of maintenance, turn the power off.
- If you had a solar gate opener installed, clean the solar panels at least once a year. However, if the environment is unusually dusty, it’s important to clean them more often. Dust and grime covering the panels will affect its efficiency.
- Hinges are expected to bear the heavy work. It’s important to lubricate them at least once a year.
- Avoid using penetrating oil sprays like WD-40 for hinges and wheels. Heavy grease is more suited for this application.
At Rotech, our technical support team is always ready to help you out. We’re widely known for the reliability of our products and expertise. If you have anything on your mind about maintenance or simply would like to know more about our products such as boom gates, contact us or let us know in the comments section below.
5 Things to Consider when Installing Solar Gate Openers
Manually opening your gates when you arrive at work or at home can be a time-consuming and inconvenient process. In the age of smart phones and wireless technology, why wouldn’t you automate a task to save you time and energy?
Technology in gate automation has advanced greatly over the past two decades. Solar gate openers are currently gaining popularity because of the numerous advantages that they have to offer. There are a number of benefits of using solar to power your gates; the biggest being that the power used is generated for free and is endlessly environmentally-friendly.
Those who are planning to utilise this technology should be well informed before making the switch; there are several considerations that must be made when installing a solar gate opener and here are some of them:
1. The type of gate you use. Different types of gates are used across various industries today. With almost infinite combinations of swinging gates, sliding gates, light or heavy-duty, steel or aluminium depending on the industry or home; the gate’s solar powered opener can be custom-made to meet the user’s operational needs.
2. The area of installation. Solar panels should be installed in an area where they can get maximum sunlight. Such areas should be away from tall buildings and trees that can cover or cast shadows on the solar panels most of the day. Placing these devices in a favourable position free from these obstructions allows them to absorb and store as much solar power as possible. Solar also offers a battery back-up feature that render them usable when the main power supply fails.
3. The gate’s workload. This factor must be determined to figure out the right size solar panel necessary for continuous operations. The size of the solar panels needed largely depends on the amount of work that the gate has to handle on a daily basis. The more it is used, the more energy is needed and the bigger the panel must be. A gate’s number of opening and closing cycles vary widely between industries. It is recommended to choose products that are rated with the most number of cycles and are longer lasting, especially for heavy-duty gates.
4. The cost. Purchasing solar gate openers is a form of investment for businesses. One must be wise when buying to make sure that the product is worth the investment. The cost of installation is also another factor to consider. While it may seem more economical to choose the lowest priced product or lowest installation rates, it is important to note that the cheapest option may not always be the best.
5. The product’s quality. When it comes to equipment of any kind, the quality should never be compromised by the cost. High quality products are proven to give optimum performance and last much longer. In the long run, high quality products can save businesses from hefty repair costs and purchasing new products to replace faulty ones.
To make the best choices and investments in solar gate openers, choose the company that has specialised in these advanced access solutions for more than 30 years, choose Rotech. We are proud providers of high quality gate openers and gate automation solutions like turnstiles and boom gates. Need your equipment customised? No problem! We specialise in customised solutions. We can build systems to meet specific commercial and industrial requirements. Give us a call and let us know how we can help. Get the security and convenience you need only from Rotech.
5 Reasons Why To Use Automated Gates
Business sites, just like the businesses themselves, are highly valuable investments and they need to be well protected from potential threats. For this reason, pedestrian access solutions are popularly used in commercial and industrial settings. Nowadays automatic boom gates, turnstiles and many other access solutions are widely used in shopping centres, hospitals, banks, car parks, transit stations, and other types of commercial establishments.
There are a number of reasons why these types of access control systems must be installed in buildings or any major business site. Owners of commercial and industrial establishments should deliberate on this matter to protect their investment. Here are some reasons why automated access solutions would be necessary.
- Safety and Security – These are two primary concerns in commercial and industrial buildings. In most cases, these establishments have several areas that need to be secured. One security measure that can be taken is to install turnstiles at the entrance and other significant places. These gates can only be opened by those who are allowed entry, using access cards, wristbands or tags. This reduces the risk of unauthorised entry to the premises.
- Controlled Access – Other than security from trespassers, automated gates also help to control the accessibility of specific areas within the business site. With automatic gates installed outside a certain area, access can be limited to particular members of the staff. This ensures that employees only enter the areas they are required to work in.
- Convenience – With modern technology used in these access solutions, getting in and out of the building is made easier and more convenient. Some types of gates can let through an average of 25 people per minute. There are also some designs that allow easy access for wheelchairs.
- Reduced Staffing –Since these gates are automated, they eliminate the need for an employee to be constantly present at the gate to control its operation. Authorised individuals can simply use their access cards to enter. This can help reduce the number of employees and save money.
- Cost-Effective Option – Gate openers are typically operated by a power source like electricity. But owing to the advents of new technology, now there are more cost-effective solutions available to reduce power consumption, thereby reducing the company’s expenses. Modern design changes include solar panels that absorb and store energy from sunlight. These solar panels can operate a solar gate opener without using much electrical power. Solar-powered units can operate for a day or two in the event that the main power fails.
When it comes to automated access solutions, Rotech is a name that one can rely on. We have been providing automatic gates and access solutions to many commercial and industrial companies. Our solutions can be customised to meet your needs and operational requirements. Contact us now and our friendly staff can walk you through our range of products.
5 Things to Consider when Choosing the Right Boom Gate for Your Property
Boom gates are one of the most useful security tools in controlling vehicle access to commercial and industrial properties. A boom gate is a bar or pole that can be lowered and raised to allow or block access to an area. They help regulate the entry of vehicles and unauthorised personnel in buildings and offices, which is why companies should consider investing in boom gates to secure their premises.
There are many kinds and designs of boom gates today that cater to a variety of purposes, and finding the correct type of boom gate is critical to ensure that you have adequate protection for your property.
Our experts at Rotech can help you identify the right product that fits your requirements with our comprehensive range of door and gate automation systems that include boom gates, among others. To guide you in selecting the right boom gate, here are a few things you need to consider:
- Application – Before purchasing a boom gate, you must first determine where you will be installing it and how you will operate the boom gate. There are boom gates that are specifically designed for use in railway crossings, car parks, office complexes, factory entrances and other industrial environments. It is necessary to find one that fits your desired application correctly to ensure that it meets your needs.
- Frequency of operation – The duty cycle or frequency of operation of a boom gate is another factor that must be taken into account. For areas with high traffic that requires more than 500 operations a day, such as large shopping centres or airports, choosing a medium to heavy duty boom gate is highly advised. Nevertheless, there are also boom gates that are suited for areas with low traffic volumes.
- Size – Rotech supply boom gates with different size poles depending on the size of opening that you wish to control. Typically boom arms will be from three to six metres in length however our KL heavy duty boom gate can span openings of 12 metres. This is especially useful when companies have oversized vehicles, such as mine sites and rail crossings.
- Features – Many of these boom gates come with battery backup, high opening speeds and solar power compatibility. Selecting boom gates that can be fitted with important security devices, such as PE safety beams, loop detectors, flashing safety lights and radio controls are also preferable especially for high risk areas.
- Price – Your choice of boom gates would also largely depend upon your budget. However, you should never compromise safety in place of lower costs. Be sure to choose a durable boom gate to suit the right application at a price you can afford.
When it comes to selecting the right boom gates to maintain heightened security in your property, our team at Rotech can help. We are a trusted supplier and manufacturer of high quality boom gates that include the Sentinel NV series, Sector DC boom gate and Sentinel KL series.
Rotech has been providing superior door and gate automation products in Australia since 1999 and we are proud to continue our mission of bringing only high quality products such as boom gates, gate openers, full and waist height turnstiles, supermarket gates and a range of related safety and security products. We encourage you to contact us today to learn more about how we can help you.