Why Solar-Powered Gates Come up Trumps
While the new US President has opened his tenure with a bang, the last thing you want is this happening to your entrance gates. A smooth transition would be nice, wouldn’t it?
And if you’ve never considered a solar gate opener to make that smooth transition possible, you should. There’s a range of benefits associated with solar-powered gates that go beyond the obvious electricity savings – although that’s certainly one of them.
Let’s take a look.
Gone are the days where green-themed products had diminished capabilities compared with their hard-wired counterparts. Modern boom gates, swing gates and sliding solar gate openers are heavy duty and able to cope with a variety of commercial and industrial applications, as well as residential requirements. They also come with the full range of features, including:
- Battery backup
- Programmable operating modes
- Timers to give access during working hours, but not on weekends, for example
- Transmitter remote controls
- Adjustable opening and closing speeds – faster open, slower close, for example
- Safety sensors
- Rugged, weather-resistant sealed control panels.
Free power, renewable from the sun
Using free renewable energy from the sun to power gates can save a lot on electricity bills – particularly in high traffic areas where gates are operating all the time, or when gates are large or heavy.
There’s no better feeling than using Australia’s burning sun to reduce the heat on your bank account!
An eco-friendly option
We all understand the importance of reducing our carbon footprint for future sustainability. Using a solar-powered gate opener is a great investment when you consider the potential financial savings on electricity.
But many businesses and individuals are also switching to solar for ethical reasons – the sun is a renewable resource compared to coal-generated power.
Perfect for remote locations
In rural and remote locations, mains power isn’t always available. Solar-powered openers come into their own here. With a variety of styles and functions, solar gate openers for swing and sliding gates, boom gates, and even turnstiles are brilliant off-grid, eco-friendly, reliable solutions.
The electricity savings alone mean solar power is worth considering. But as you can see, there’s many other benefits too. If you’d like to discuss installing solar gate openers in domestic, commercial or industrial settings, give us a call to find out more about the options.
How automated gate openers boost security and profit
It doesn’t matter whether you operate an industrial, commercial or retail business – you are not immune to theft.
It is increasingly important to understand how to better protect your property, minimise your business’s vulnerability to opportunistic thieves and increase your profitability.
Factors such as:
- reduced investment in loss prevention methods by businesses
- a perception pilfering is a low risk/non-offensive crime
- the ease of sale of stolen goods online
means businesses face ever increasing challenges and losses due to theft.
Losses due to theft are an avoidable chunk of revenue that could be lifting your bottom-line
Research undertaken by the Australian Institute of Criminology highlighted access control as an important tool businesses should include in their crime prevention strategy…
“Access control aims to increase the effort associated with committing an offence, usually though the
alteration of the physical environment or surroundings to make crimes more difficult.”
Using automated internal and external gates and barriers to control access is a proven and highly effective method of preventing unauthorised access and managing security.
Using automated gates to improve security and profitability
There is increasing local and international concern about crimes against small business. Australia has over 1.9 million small businesses and proportionally there are more crimes committed against businesses than households – the most common being burglary followed by theft.
Australian Federal Police statistics show workplace theft costs Australian businesses about $1.5 billion a year and the problem is growing.
If your industrial yard, warehouse or commercial business is prone to theft using an automated gate can be an effective and efficient solution.
Teamed with remote control, key card or keypad options – using an automatic gate opener to control heavy-duty swing gates and sliding gates can significantly prevent access for unauthorised vehicles and would-be burglars.
Depending on the nature of your business, automatic boom gates may provide a better alternative to swing or sliding gates as they allow for fast vehicle access while allowing security guards to manage stock control at exit points.
Alternatively, full height turnstiles are becoming a popular option for businesses that require a high level of pedestrian security for visitors and recording time and attendance of employees. Combined with an anti-climb mesh and a card reader, a full height turnstile is highly effective method of restricting access.
Human error can foster opportunistic crime – how many times have you or a staff member forgotten to close the gate after entering or exiting? By installing an automated gate opener you won’t need to worry about entry points accidentally being left wide open for thieves. An adjustable automatic close timer minimises the time available to pass through the gate making it difficult for unauthorised access.
No power – no problem
In the event of a power failure, automatic gate openers can be operated via a battery pack, which can increase the security in times of vulnerability, providing peace of mind that property is protected whatever the circumstances.
If you are thinking about upgrading your business security, Rotech can help, providing a full range of automated gate openers, boom gates, turnstiles and supermarket gates. Talk to the experts about solutions for protecting your bottom line.
What You Ought To Know Before Choosing a Sliding Gate Operator
Does your home or office needs extra protection and easier access? Then install an effective automatic security gate system.
An automatic sliding gate motor on your new or existing sliding gate will promote a safer, convenient and more secure home or work environment. Automatic sliding gates openers, like automatic boom gates and turnstiles, improve your privacy and protect your business from unwanted intrusion. These types of access control systems will also increase the value of your property, especially as security becomes a more relevant issue in our world today.
But, before installing the operator, you need to consider which motor is really right for your property. To help decide which sliding gate opener is the best option for your property, answer these four crucial questions.
What size and weight is your gate?
The type of sliding gate operator you choose is dependent on the size and weight of your existing gate. The heavier or longer your gate is dictates the size of the motor you choose. Sliding gate operators are available from domestic light duty for residential properties to industrial extreme heavy duty for factories and site entrances.
Is solar right for you?
Sliding gate operators come with solar options. This is especially good if you are on a rural property or have limited access to a power source. You will need to consider the position of the gate in regards to light as large trees or structures may inhibit the effectiveness of the solar output. Solar technology has come a very long way and is more reliable than ever; however, choose an operator that has “battery back-up” so that on the days of limited light you can draw on the saved backed up energy stored in the battery.
How fast do you want your gate to open?
Knowing how fast you want your gate to open will help you decide which sliding security gate system is right for your property. If the gate is in a vulnerable area, a fast entry and exit is important, so as not to leave yourself, your property or your vehicle unprotected in the interim of opening and closing. You may require quick entry to your property if your driveway is on a busy road, so as not to hold up the traffic or trigger tail gate accidents. Choose a gate operator that allows speed to be independently adjusted. That way you have complete control, allowing yourself a quick entry followed by a safer and slower closing speed. For this reason, sliding gate operators are available in standard and safe turbo speeds.
How do you want to control the gate access to your property?
Depending on the level of security and ease of access that you want, you can choose from a variety of access control methods to open and close your gate. These include: remote control access, keypad access, photo electric beam (PE) through beams or even access using your mobile phone! A large range of access control equipment from transmitters to PE beams, keypads and GSM mobile phone devices are available here at Rotech.
Whether you want to increase your security and safety, or you simply want to have the convenience fast and easy entry and exit, installing sliding gate operator offers both benefits.
Looking for top quality sliding gate systems? Give us a call or send us a message aAt Rotech, we provide a range of access control systems that can be custom-made to fit your needs and requirements. From automatic boom gates and turnstiles, to sliding gates motors and solar gate openers, our team will help you choose the right security gate system for your property.
Explaining Pros & Cons of Solar-Powered Gate Openers to Clients
Solar-powered gate openers are rising in popularity because of innovations in solar technology which have significantly improved their reliability. The cost of solar panels has also come down considerably over the past few years. That is why many consumers are seriously considering them. However, not everyone might think that they are an ideal solution.
When it comes to explaining solar-powered gate openers to your clients, it’s always good to emphasise the following attributes to help them consider having one installed at their property.
What’s in it for your clients?
- Savings – Clients can now enjoy lower energy bills. Since this type of opener uses energy coming from the sun, it’s virtually free. Aside from the initial product cost and installation fees, they won’t be spending more for the operation. Even in very poor light conditions, testing has shown that the gate will still operate for up to 10 operations per day
- Installation – Solar power allows you to install a gate opener or boom gate in a remote location or one that has limited access to a power source. Of course, this also means that the labour that goes into the installation of the unit is reduced, as there is no need to dig up roadways in order to run high voltage cables to the gate.
- Safety – with solar power, access to a property is never an issue as the gate will not fail during power outages. This means that your client will never have to leave their car unattended while they open the gate and will never be left feeling vulnerable, especially late at night or in areas of high crime.
What do you need to tell your clients?
Each installation of a solar-powered gate operator has to be assessed to ensure that they work correctly for the environment they are in and the type of job they are required to do. As a gate manufacturer, it’s best to know these. Read the following list to be guided:
- The size of the solar panel will depend on the number of operations per day and the amount of accessories (PE beams, intercom) that may be fitted.
- Solar panels need to be mounted in a position where they will get the most sunlight, away from over shadowing trees or buildings.
- The brackets holding the panel should be of high quality stainless steel for durability, especially since they are exposed to the elements.
Equipped with this information, you can now explain to your clients in detail what benefits they can get and what limitations they can expect from the application.
As soon as they’re ready to make use of this technology, we’ll be ready at Rotech to help you. As one of Australia’s leading providers of gate operators, boom gates and turnstiles, it is our priority to supply gate manufacturers and security companies with first-class products. Rotech can also customise products to suit a client’s needs. With our 30-years of experience in the industry, our technical support team will gladly assist you with product information and integration.
Safety and Maintenance Tips | Gate Openers
We have been writing about the benefits of installing gate openers and the security they can provide for your homes and commercial establishments. But what should you do after you have them installed? In this post, we’ll review safety precautions as well as maintenance guidelines after installation.
Reducing Risks of Injuries
Too many times, people don’t take heed of precautions when they buy or have something new installed. Just as automatic gate openers keep you safe from trespassers, you should also protect yourself, your family and employees by following these safety tips:
- LISTEN to the technicians when they teach you about safety precautions to lower the risks of injuries. They will also teach you about ‘entrapment zones’, places everyone should avoid at all times.
- Children shouldn’t be allowed to play with controls. Make sure to keep the remote control, push buttons or switches away from their reach.
- Moving gate openers may look ‘fun’ to tiny tots and the first thing they can think of is to ride the barrier. Talk to them about the importance of staying away from the vicinity. Better yet, an adult should be present all the time, especially when there are toddlers around.
- Are your motorised gates not functioning properly? Avoid the DIY route even if you’re quite handy. It’s better to call professionals and have them check on the issue.
- Never attempt to reach through the barriers.
- If you’re fond of beating the red light, you shouldn’t be doing the same thing to your gate and beat it while it’s moving to close or open. It’s dangerous to do that as you can easily get caught.
Maintenance to Ensure Product Longevity
Rotech’s high-end automatic gate openers don’t actually need to be checked often. But like anything that’s used often and usually exposed to harsh elements, you need to schedule regular upkeep. Take note of the following guidelines:
- Before doing any type of maintenance, turn the power off.
- If you had a solar gate opener installed, clean the solar panels at least once a year. However, if the environment is unusually dusty, it’s important to clean them more often. Dust and grime covering the panels will affect its efficiency.
- Hinges are expected to bear the heavy work. It’s important to lubricate them at least once a year.
- Avoid using penetrating oil sprays like WD-40 for hinges and wheels. Heavy grease is more suited for this application.
At Rotech, our technical support team is always ready to help you out. We’re widely known for the reliability of our products and expertise. If you have anything on your mind about maintenance or simply would like to know more about our products such as boom gates, contact us or let us know in the comments section below.
5 Things to Consider when Installing Solar Gate Openers
Manually opening your gates when you arrive at work or at home can be a time-consuming and inconvenient process. In the age of smart phones and wireless technology, why wouldn’t you automate a task to save you time and energy?
Technology in gate automation has advanced greatly over the past two decades. Solar gate openers are currently gaining popularity because of the numerous advantages that they have to offer. There are a number of benefits of using solar to power your gates; the biggest being that the power used is generated for free and is endlessly environmentally-friendly.
Those who are planning to utilise this technology should be well informed before making the switch; there are several considerations that must be made when installing a solar gate opener and here are some of them:
1. The type of gate you use. Different types of gates are used across various industries today. With almost infinite combinations of swinging gates, sliding gates, light or heavy-duty, steel or aluminium depending on the industry or home; the gate’s solar powered opener can be custom-made to meet the user’s operational needs.
2. The area of installation. Solar panels should be installed in an area where they can get maximum sunlight. Such areas should be away from tall buildings and trees that can cover or cast shadows on the solar panels most of the day. Placing these devices in a favourable position free from these obstructions allows them to absorb and store as much solar power as possible. Solar also offers a battery back-up feature that render them usable when the main power supply fails.
3. The gate’s workload. This factor must be determined to figure out the right size solar panel necessary for continuous operations. The size of the solar panels needed largely depends on the amount of work that the gate has to handle on a daily basis. The more it is used, the more energy is needed and the bigger the panel must be. A gate’s number of opening and closing cycles vary widely between industries. It is recommended to choose products that are rated with the most number of cycles and are longer lasting, especially for heavy-duty gates.
4. The cost. Purchasing solar gate openers is a form of investment for businesses. One must be wise when buying to make sure that the product is worth the investment. The cost of installation is also another factor to consider. While it may seem more economical to choose the lowest priced product or lowest installation rates, it is important to note that the cheapest option may not always be the best.
5. The product’s quality. When it comes to equipment of any kind, the quality should never be compromised by the cost. High quality products are proven to give optimum performance and last much longer. In the long run, high quality products can save businesses from hefty repair costs and purchasing new products to replace faulty ones.
To make the best choices and investments in solar gate openers, choose the company that has specialised in these advanced access solutions for more than 30 years, choose Rotech. We are proud providers of high quality gate openers and gate automation solutions like turnstiles and boom gates. Need your equipment customised? No problem! We specialise in customised solutions. We can build systems to meet specific commercial and industrial requirements. Give us a call and let us know how we can help. Get the security and convenience you need only from Rotech.
5 Reasons Why To Use Automated Gates
Business sites, just like the businesses themselves, are highly valuable investments and they need to be well protected from potential threats. For this reason, pedestrian access solutions are popularly used in commercial and industrial settings. Nowadays automatic boom gates, turnstiles and many other access solutions are widely used in shopping centres, hospitals, banks, car parks, transit stations, and other types of commercial establishments.
There are a number of reasons why these types of access control systems must be installed in buildings or any major business site. Owners of commercial and industrial establishments should deliberate on this matter to protect their investment. Here are some reasons why automated access solutions would be necessary.
- Safety and Security – These are two primary concerns in commercial and industrial buildings. In most cases, these establishments have several areas that need to be secured. One security measure that can be taken is to install turnstiles at the entrance and other significant places. These gates can only be opened by those who are allowed entry, using access cards, wristbands or tags. This reduces the risk of unauthorised entry to the premises.
- Controlled Access – Other than security from trespassers, automated gates also help to control the accessibility of specific areas within the business site. With automatic gates installed outside a certain area, access can be limited to particular members of the staff. This ensures that employees only enter the areas they are required to work in.
- Convenience – With modern technology used in these access solutions, getting in and out of the building is made easier and more convenient. Some types of gates can let through an average of 25 people per minute. There are also some designs that allow easy access for wheelchairs.
- Reduced Staffing –Since these gates are automated, they eliminate the need for an employee to be constantly present at the gate to control its operation. Authorised individuals can simply use their access cards to enter. This can help reduce the number of employees and save money.
- Cost-Effective Option – Gate openers are typically operated by a power source like electricity. But owing to the advents of new technology, now there are more cost-effective solutions available to reduce power consumption, thereby reducing the company’s expenses. Modern design changes include solar panels that absorb and store energy from sunlight. These solar panels can operate a solar gate opener without using much electrical power. Solar-powered units can operate for a day or two in the event that the main power fails.
When it comes to automated access solutions, Rotech is a name that one can rely on. We have been providing automatic gates and access solutions to many commercial and industrial companies. Our solutions can be customised to meet your needs and operational requirements. Contact us now and our friendly staff can walk you through our range of products.
Gate Openers|Unparalleled Security and Convenience
Did you ever have one of those days when nothing is going right? You spilled coffee on your expensive new suit, had to change and ended up running late for that 9am appointment. Just when you were a few metres away from work, it began to rain and unfortunately, you got soaking wet trying to open the gate (and closing it again!).
Your day wouldn’t have been so awful if you had an automatic gate opener installed. Then you could have stayed in the car, breezing through the gated driveway, and went about your day in a good mood. If you’re thinking of getting one, here are two common questions potential customers would ask about gate openers.
Why Should I Invest in Gate Openers?
That’s a good question and we’ll gladly explain why such an expenditure is worth every cent. Installing one definitely adds some style and raises the value of your property. Aside from that, you can benefit from the convenience and added protection:
1. Saves Time with Easy Access
Unlike manually opened gates, electronic gate openers make life easier for you with the use of keypads or remote controls to automatically allow access to your property and gated driveways at your command. Gone are the days when you have to fumble with the lock and key and it’s especially convenient when it’s raining. You don’t have to get out of your car just to let yourself in.
2. Keeps Your Property Secure
Just like in residential areas, commercial properties often need added security for various reasons: to protect from theft and vandalism and for privacy as well. Clients and office staff often accidentally leave the gate open, making your property vulnerable to unauthorised entry. It can help your security personnel monitor the people coming in and out of the premises as well. If you’re planning to install one at home, children and pets are kept within the property since they can’t easily open the latch or lock with a key.
What Should I Consider Before Buying?
1. Space – Opting for an automatic swinging gate means you should have a lot of free space for it to work properly. There should be substantial clearance for your car to pass through or for the gate not to hit anything as it swings backward. If the area is a little cramped, our range of sliding gate openers is an alternative.
2. Power Supply – Are you frequently experiencing power failure in your area? The Vector Swing Gate Operator has a battery back-up that allows you to use it even when there’s a power blackout. Examine the possibility of a solar power gate opener as well if you want to reduce power consumption. While keeping your family and property safe and secure, you’re also doing your part in preserving our natural resources.
3. Type of Property – Are you going to be using automatic operators for high traffic areas? How many times will you be using the gates in a day? Those are the questions you need to ask yourself to determine what kind of operator you are going to need. Commercial establishments would require more rigid security measures compared to homes.
4. Safety – All automatic gates should be fitted with safety devices to protect vehicles and pedestrians. Most automatic gates are set to close automatically after a pre-set time and a safety ground loop or PE safety beam is normally fitted. The safety loop detects the metal in vehicles and prevents the gate from closing, while the safety PE beam will detect pedestrians.
When it comes to security and convenience, gate openers have proven to be one of the top choices of businesses and homeowners alike. As the leading supplier of gate openers and manufacturer of automatic boom gates, Rotech aims to provide you with first class products that are aimed to match your security requirements.