Safety and Maintenance Tips | Gate Openers
We have been writing about the benefits of installing gate openers and the security they can provide for your homes and commercial establishments. But what should you do after you have them installed? In this post, we’ll review safety precautions as well as maintenance guidelines after installation.
Reducing Risks of Injuries
Too many times, people don’t take heed of precautions when they buy or have something new installed. Just as automatic gate openers keep you safe from trespassers, you should also protect yourself, your family and employees by following these safety tips:
- LISTEN to the technicians when they teach you about safety precautions to lower the risks of injuries. They will also teach you about ‘entrapment zones’, places everyone should avoid at all times.
- Children shouldn’t be allowed to play with controls. Make sure to keep the remote control, push buttons or switches away from their reach.
- Moving gate openers may look ‘fun’ to tiny tots and the first thing they can think of is to ride the barrier. Talk to them about the importance of staying away from the vicinity. Better yet, an adult should be present all the time, especially when there are toddlers around.
- Are your motorised gates not functioning properly? Avoid the DIY route even if you’re quite handy. It’s better to call professionals and have them check on the issue.
- Never attempt to reach through the barriers.
- If you’re fond of beating the red light, you shouldn’t be doing the same thing to your gate and beat it while it’s moving to close or open. It’s dangerous to do that as you can easily get caught.
Maintenance to Ensure Product Longevity
Rotech’s high-end automatic gate openers don’t actually need to be checked often. But like anything that’s used often and usually exposed to harsh elements, you need to schedule regular upkeep. Take note of the following guidelines:
- Before doing any type of maintenance, turn the power off.
- If you had a solar gate opener installed, clean the solar panels at least once a year. However, if the environment is unusually dusty, it’s important to clean them more often. Dust and grime covering the panels will affect its efficiency.
- Hinges are expected to bear the heavy work. It’s important to lubricate them at least once a year.
- Avoid using penetrating oil sprays like WD-40 for hinges and wheels. Heavy grease is more suited for this application.
At Rotech, our technical support team is always ready to help you out. We’re widely known for the reliability of our products and expertise. If you have anything on your mind about maintenance or simply would like to know more about our products such as boom gates, contact us or let us know in the comments section below.