When busy mine operations intersect the local community
Since commencing operations in 2018 this central Queensland coal mine has been gearing up production and mining operations, now moving coal 24 hours a day with as many as three trucks per hour doing a round trip between the mine and the train loadout facility.
Impact of mine traffic on the township
The 75km round trip involves the haul trucks collecting coal at the mine site, travelling along the dirt access road, joining the main highway, passing through the local township, driving on to the rail loading facility then returning empty via the same route to the mine for the next load.
During peak times heavy-duty trucks leave and enter the public highway as often as every 15-20 minutes making the management of site access a high safety and security priority.
Secure Coast Solutions customised access control system has it covered
Secure Coast Solutions designed an access control system with two key objectives in mind:
- to maximise the safety of the general public, and
- to maintain the efficiency of mining operations.
Considerations for protecting the public
- The bi-directional dirt road that enters the mine site is restricted for use by haul trucks and mine employees. Preventing unauthorised people driving down the mine access road is a priority.
- The mine operators had obtained special permits allowing passage via the highway and through school zones. As the trucks run 24 hours a day, to minimise the impact on the local community, restrictions on the frequency of operations are in place depending on the time of day.
Considerations for maximising haul road traffic efficiency
- If the trucks had to stop each time they enter and exit the mine sites this would have a significant impact on haulage efficiency – increasing travel time, fuel usage as well as wear and tear on the vehicles.
- For the haul trucks to be able to access mine areas without stopping they had to be able to open the boom gates automatically before approaching the control point and automatically close behind them.
- Being dirt roads meant safety loop detectors weren’t suitable and if the road became muddy in the rain PE beams couldn’t be used either.
- In addition to the haul trucks, access was required for maintenance and other mine personnel.
- The location of the boom gates at the entrance to the loadout facility meant power was unavailable.
- For safety and vehicle management mine operators wanted to be able to monitor the location of all trucks along the haulage route.
Efficient Practical Solution in Action
- Boom Gates were installed to prevent unauthorised vehicles from entering mine access roads.
- To allow the haul trucks to pass unhindered through the boom gates they were fitted with long-range RFID tags. When a truck is within 10-15 meters of the boom gate, long-range readers mounted on card reader stands, detect the tags on the bull bar of the haul truck and opens the boom gate.
- Radar safety devices hold the boom gate open as the trucks pass when the radar is clear the boom gate automatically lowers a few seconds later.
- Rotech’s dual height card reader stands allow entry and exit for light and large vehicles not fitted with tags.
- If a truck doesn’t reach its destination within an hour after leaving the mine site the boom gate control system sends an alarm to the control centre. The mine control centre monitors the location of each truck and other traffic. Communications are achieved using 4G routers providing internet access over the mobile phone network.
- Accommodating for varying traffic flows depending on the time of day and for weekends, the Bionik AG automatic boom gate’s multi-function digital controller made set up and programming of the access control system easy.
- Six 120W solar panels were installed to provide power for the entire system. Adding 720amp/hours of battery storage means the solar panels can provide enough power for 4-5 days allowing for overcast weather.
- LED strip lighting on the boom gate arms and illuminated card reader posts provide increased visibility and safety during night works.
Why the Bionik AG Boom Gate was the best choice for the job
“This is a busy, intensive use situation requiring high levels of safety and reliable operation. The Bionik AG boom gates are low in maintenance, fast to activate and are robust and reliable.
LED lights illuminate the boom arms and the electronics are inside a well sealed enclosure protecting the components from coal dust.
All equipment chosen is 100% duty cycle and high temperature rated so it can be used as often as needed. The Bionik AG Automatic Boom Gate featured everything needed to do the job.”
Stuart Bryant – Secure Coast Solutions
For more information about this or other safety and security combinations for your site call Alan Roberts on 07 3250 1123 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Control Vehicle Access to your Waste Facility
Rotech are leaders in automated access control
Our boom gates are tough, reliable, cost-effective and easily configured for different locations
Customisable for all types of weighbridges
Can be controlled using push buttons, transmitters, tokens and access tags
Relocatable for temporary entry areas around the facility if required
Optional solar power available for areas without access to mains power
Automatic emergency opening of the boom gate triggered by fire alarm
Reliable, efficient and cost-effective
High operational efficiency: 100% duty cycle, the revolutionary brushless motor is more efficient – allows up to 4000-5000 operations per day with economically ultra-low power consumption.
Lower maintenance costs: the brushless motor saves time and money in maintenance. The mechanical quality of the Bionik boom gates is exceptional.
Quality is unsurpassed: European manufactured using only the highest quality materials and components available has produced a product that is strong, robust and designed to last.
Site safety a priority
Rotech Bionik automatic boom gates include many safety features as standard:
Manual opening: easily opened using the release key which disengages the drive system without having to open the cabinet. No danger to personnel from contact with electrical equipment or drive mechanism.
Increased control of safety sensing: means all aspects of safety can be accurately managed. The motor design enables instant reversing of the boom pole if any safety devices are activated or if the pole is obstructed.
Battery back-up: the boom gate will continue to function for up to 300 operations in the event of power failure allowing vehicles to still exit.
Essential safety features: strategically placed warning lights on the top of the cabinet are standard. Boom pole lights, loop detectors and safety beams options are also available ensuring vehicles and pedestrians alike are protected.
Prevent tailgaters creeping through behind other vehicles: intelligent control panel software prevents a second vehicle tailgating by instantly lowering the pole to half-way. The gate will not open until the second vehicle has been allowed access or presented an access card.
Mechanically tough and durable construction prevents damage from vandalism: featuring machined steel gears, high quality bearings, strong gearbox and a self-locking mechanism means the pole cannot be forced open.
For a Wide Entrance
- Rugged construction
- 3 mm thick cabinet reinforced with 6 mm steel bracing
- Heavy duty springs
- Strengthened pole support operates in 90 Km/h winds
- Up to 5,000 operations per day
- Brushless DC motor with multifunction digital controller for precise control
Short on Space
- Cost effective solution for sites with tight spaces
- Compact design
- Tough 100% duty cycle
- Up to 5000 operations per day
- Fast opening speed
- Instant reversing
- Superior safety sensing.
Want to know more about how Rotech products can help you manage vehicle access to your waste facility?
Call Alan Roberts on (07) 3205 1123 or email email@example.com.